Piglet and I love eating Jackfruit. We used to buy one pack of jackfruit in pasar malam every week. Eventually we found big jackfruit during peak season at our local supermarket at a reasonable price and cut open it.
One day, there was a cempedak cake request from the birthday girl. Piglet went hunting high and low for it and managed to find one last minute.
”I will bake a jackfruit cake.” And… it’s been more than 1 year since we have been waiting for Piglet’s jackfruit cake.
Jackfruit Cake Recipe
140g Caster sugar
190g Jackfruit Puree
80g Jackfruit Bits
150g All Purpose Flour (Sieved)
3 tsp Baking Powder
1.Puree jackfruit with a food processor
2. Cut jackfruit into pieces. Jackfruit puree or jackfruit bits can be refrigerated for use later.
3. Preheat oven 170C convection oven.
4. Cream butter and sugar until white and fluffy
5. Add in eggs one by one and mix well. Then mix in jackfruit puree.
6. Fold in flour & baking powder. Do not overmix. Then mix in jackfruit bits
7. Pour batter into loaf pan (4’X10′) lined with parchment paper.
8. Bake for total of 40 minutes. I covered the pan with an aluminium foil after 30 minutes.
Piglet is pretty good at ‘winging it’. The night before we baked it, he told me that he will use 3 eggs, minimal butter, pureed jackfruit and some jackfruit bits…. I guesstimated the flour amount and jackfruit quantity but left it to Piglet to do the final fine-tuning.
Piglet reduced the sugar as the jackfruit puree was quite sweet. It’s actually sweeter than banana puree.
The method is similar to a banana cake/ chocolate cake/ butter cake recipe. Cream butter & sugar, add egg and the last part will be adding the flour and rough bits….
How was the long awaited jackfruit cake?
Piglet’s jackfruit cake tasted great. It was moist, had a jackfruit aroma and a jackfruit buttery taste. I could see jackfruit bits in the jackfruit.
We will definitely be baking more of this…