There were four electrician site visits: 1 recommendation from friend, 2 from kaodim and 1 recommendation from lowyat.
The price range I had gotten:
- Subdistribution Board Single phase RM 1050-1200 16mm SIRIM approved cable MCBs & ELCB
- 13A Power Point RM80-90 2.5mm cable
- Light & Fan point RM50 1.5mm cable
- Waterproof Power Point RM150-180 2.5mm cable
- Aircon point RM180-200 2.5mm/4mm cable
- Hob & oven point RM120-200 2.5mm/ 4mm cable
- 20A Neon light switch double pole including cable for oven & hob (Optional) RM50
All 1.5-4mm cable are SIRIM approved good quality local brand cable
The pricing is dependent on the cable length, cable brand, cable thickness, hacking work required, PVC & conceal work, ‘looping’ or direct cable from the distribution board so it does vary from house to house. You will need to compare like with like.
I had originally been given a quote on kaodim and had not yet done a site visit. My contractor had a look at it and advised that the DB part for the quote was a bit too low. He would most likely need to do a site visit and I also had to check the brand of the cable he is using from the DB to the sub DB.
And just as predicted, after the site visit the electrician told me he would need to add RM200 on top of the original quote as he would need to hack some parts and length of cable was longer than expected. He arranged to start the electrical works 4 days later.
Reasons I hired my electrician:
- Good explanations and recommendation
- Very detailed
- Understood my concerns of electrical safety & offered a safe wiring system
- Advised 4mm local brand SIRIM approved cables with dedicated 32A circuit for hob and even the oven respectively.