It is important to balance needs and wants when designing your dream kitchen.
I really wanted a kitchen island for my future kitchen. There wasn’t enough space in the 10 feet by 9 feet dry kitchen. I could possibly manage if I hack the wall of the bedroom next to it.
I thought about it… Naah… No kitchen island then. A small kitchen peninsula will still work.
These are the questions to ask yourself before designing a kitchen. It would fall mainly under ‘needs’.
1. Age of household members?
- Toddlers- Child lock on kitchen cabinet and no glass base cabinet.
- School going children- Being able to cook while watching over them. They might do their homework at peninsula or kitchen island and dining area.
2. Size of the family?
- Large family- Might require a large storage area including freezer or fridge as it is more economical to buy grocery in bulk .
3. Number of chefs?
- Multiple chef in a household would require extra countertop space for prep area and to consider sink options.
4. Disability or health problem?
- Wheelchair bound- wider walkway n electric plugs closer to the floor
- Pacemaker- Caution when using an induction hob
- Back problem- Install an oven at waist height instead of under the countertop.
- Vertically challenged- Adjust countertop height to be lower.
- Entertaining & parties- Include a bar, peninsula or a kitchen island in the kitchen design.
- Love baking- Include a marble countertop as it has a cooler surface and a baking zone in the kitchen design.
7. Cooking style?
- Wok- If you use a wok and gas hob, would you need to consider lowering your countertop?
- ‘Wok hei’- Gas hob is a better option for traditional Chinese cooking.
- Steaming food- Need a built in steam oven for a healthier cooking style?
- Malaysian cooking- A wet kitchen or closed kitchen for greasy smoky cooking?
- Storage space- Consider walk in pantry or tall kitchen cabinet
- Laundry space- Area to put the washing machine and clothes detergent
- Television space- Watch cooking shows in the kitchen? Allocate an area to put a television or tablet.