I wanted to make a healthier version of peanut muah chee so I tried adding mashed pumpkin inside.
After blending the peanut, it produces oil that causes it to clump together. If powdered sugar is omitted, corn starch can help it produce more of a sandy texture and absorb the oil.
The first time I made it, I omitted sugar entirely and tasted savoury. Piglet commented that it wasn’t sweet at all so I added sugar into the sticky dough but did not add any into the peanut topping.
Peanut Pumpkin Muah Chee (Mochi) Recipe
120g Glutinous Rice flour
20g Sugar (Optional)
1 tbs oil
10g starch or 20g powdered sugar (reduced)
20g sesame seed
Note: Adjust sugar up to 40g
1. Steam pumpkin and mash it with fork. Put aside to cool for 30 minutes.
2. Mix glutinous rice flour, mashed pumpkin, water, oil and sugar.
3. Steam it for 20 minutes.
4. Blend peanut and sesame seed. Add starch or powdered sugar. Put aside
4. Mix it to form the sticky consistency and leave it to cool down for 20 minutes covered to prevent drying.
5. Cut the sticky dough into pieces and dip it in peanut topping.