When I mentioned to piglet that I was planning to make a pumpkin cake, his initial impression was a pumpkin cake consisting of eggs, flour, spices topped with cream cheese.
During our last shopping trip, we bought 2 pumpkin and I was looking trying to come up with different recipes. Lately I have been trying to reduce refined carbs e.g. white sugar so most of my pumpkin recipes will be savoury ones.
I like my pumpkin with dried shrimp and tried to make it as simple as possible.
I used half of it to make fried pumpkin cake which is similar to the Chinese fried carrot cake.
Chinese Savoury Steamed Pumpkin Cake
200g rice flour
1 tsp corn starch
1 tbs dried prawn
2 tbs shallots
1 tsp garlic
Salt to taste
1. Shred pumpkin
2. Fry shallots, dried shrimp and garlic with oil until browned.
3. Stir in pumpkin and pour in 100ml of water
4. Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until it is soft.
5. Add salt to taste.
6. Pour in remaining water and rice flour.
7. Stir it until it thickens and pour it into a tin. I used a 8” X 4” loaf pan.
8. Steam for 40 minutes
9. Leave it to cool it for 15 minutes