I have been planning to try making thosai for a while but did not have a suitable pan to make it. Recently I bought a tawa pan so I gave it a go.
The ingredients just consist of brown rice, urad dal and fenugreek. The black lentils I used had black skin around it. I soaked the brown rice and urad dal overnight (8 hours) and blended it into a thick paste.
Let’s see… I left it to ferment for 16 hours and then left it in the fridge. It turned out way too sour so next time I will just go with 8 hours max.
The pan is non stick so the cooking process itself was fine. The first one I did was not crunchy and slightly soft. The batter was thick so I diluted it a bit eventually.
Basic Thosai Recipe
(Makes 6 thosai)
½ cup brown rice
½ cup urad dal
1 tsp fenugreek seeds (optional)
Pinch of salt
1. Wash and soak brown rice and urad dal separately overnight or about 8 hours.
2. Remove soaking liquid and blend brown rice, urad dal, fenugreek seeds into paste. Add water to desired consistency.
3. Leave it to ferment for about 8 hours.
4. Add salt before cooking.
5. Wipe tawa pan with oil. Scoop thosai mix using a big ladle and spread it on the tawa pan.
6. When thosai separates from the pan and is slightly brown on the base, remove it and fold it into half or roll it into a cylinder.
7. Serve with curry or chutney.