I did a vegetarian version of this soup. I used dried chilli and Sichuan peppercorn for the spiciness and used balsamic vinegar to substitute black vinegar for the sourness. I also used dried shiitake mushroom powder for the stock.
I bought 1 packet of tofu consisting of 10 firm tofu 5 days ago. Unfortunately tofu does not last too long in the fridge so I boiled it, dry it up on a tea towel and sliced it thinly. Then, I freeze it. When it was time to cook it, I put the frozen tofu into the soup.
If you would like to do a non vegetarian version, you can add minced meat, sliced meat or chicken stock.
Vegetarian Hot and Sour Soup Recipe (酸辣汤)
(Makes 2 Serving)
1 tbsp cooking oil
1 tsp Sichuan peppercorn
2 dried chilli
1 tsp garlic
1 inch ginger
1/3 carrot (matchstick)
A few shredded black ear fungus/ cloud ear fungus
3 shiitake mushroom sliced thinly/ 1 tbsp shiitake mushroom powder
500ml water/ vegetable stock
1 tbsp light soy sauce
½ tsp dark soy sauce
Cornstarch & water
Black vinegar to taste
Salt to taste
1. Heat up oil and add Sichuan peppercorn. Keep the oil and discard the Sichuan peppercorn.
2. Stir in dried chilli then add garlic and ginger. Stir it for 1 min.
3. Add black ear fungus, shiitake mushroom and carrot. Stir it for another few minutes.
4. Add water or vegetable stock and boil for 15 minutes.
5. Add water/ vegetable stock and mushroom powder.
6. Remove dried chilli. Mix cornstarch with water and pour it into the soup slowly. Add it until the soup is thick.
7. Beat egg. Stir soup and pour it in slowly.
8. Add black vinegar and salt to taste.